Honey Bourbon Coffee Cocktail
French press coffee has become quite a popular brewing method (learn how to do it here). It lends itself to a cup of coffee that is bold and thick in flavor, but smooth in taste.
Innovative cocktail masters are now taking that same press technique, and applying it to craft cocktails. The layering and infusing of many different flavors creates a drink of depth and complexity, similar to a fine coffee.
Note that we are using Amaro in this recipe, which is an Italian bitter-sweet after dinner digestif. It is typically made with various herbs, roots, and citrus peels. We recommend the Southern Amaro Liqueur, from another local Charleston company HighWire Distilling Co.
You can make the cold-pressed bourbon and spiced honey simple syrup ahead of time in a large batch. Just pull it out of the fridge whenever the urge for a coffee cocktail strikes you!
- Make the cold-pressed bourbon. Let steep for about 15 minutes and then plunge.
- Make the spiced honey simple syrup. Don’t let the mixture come to a boil in the pan, just barely a simmer.
- Shake up a cocktail and garnish with lemon. Cheers!
2 cups bourbon
½ cup ground coffee beans
- Place the ground beans in the bottom of a French Press and add the bourbon.
- Place the plunger on top but don’t press down.
- Let the bourbon steep for 15 minutes.
- Slowly depress the plunger until you reach the bottom.
- Carefully pour out the bourbon and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
SPICED HONEY SIMPLE SYRUP
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
2 star anise
1 by 2-inch strip lemon zest
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and let infuse for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Strain the simple syrup into a squeeze bottle.
COCKTAIL (makes 2 drinks)
1 ounce cold-pressed bourbon
1 ounce honey simple syrup
½ ounce HighWire Southern Amaro Liqueur
1 ounce cold coffee
Lemon peel and star anise, for garnish
- Place all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake to combine and strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with an lemon peel to serve