Coffee-Rubbed Steak with Mango Avocado Salsa
Just in time for grilling season, this spicy Coffee Rubbed Grilled Steak with a cool Mango Avocado Salsa will be the hit at your parties and picnics this summer. The secret is a ground coffee rub made with your favorite Charleston Coffee Roasters coffee.
Ground coffee has been a secret ingredient in BBQ rubs and sauces for a long time. It pairs especially well with grilled and smoked meats, and adds an earthiness and richness to a recipe. The ground coffee also caramelizes and chars slightly on the hot grill, which adds a touch of sweetness to the meat. You might think that ground coffee would be better as a grill rub, but our signature roasting process ensures that our coffee is always smooth and never bitter.
Making your own rub at home is easy. Start with your favorite Charleston Coffee Roasters coffee. For this recipe, we suggest a Medium Roast such as our El Salvador La Esperanza. The full well rounded citrus flavors in these beans are a nice compliment to the mango avocado salsa. You really don’t need to add much more than salt, pepper, garlic powder and red pepper flakes for a little spicy kick. But you can certainly add other spices too, check out our recipe for Coffee Rubbed Turkey for another rub variation.
For the salsa, look for juicy ripe mangos and creamy avocados. When combined with crunchy red onion and a squeeze of tart lime juice, this is a salsa recipe that you will be making all summer long. It’s delicious served on top of the steak, but also tasty on its own with tortilla chips.
1/4 cup ground Charleston Coffee Roasters Coffee
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Combine the coffee, salt and spices together. Store in a jar at room temperature.
MANGO AVOCADO SALSA
1/2 cup diced mango
1/2 avocado, diced
2 tablespoons red onion, minced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl with a pinch of salt. Toss to combine. Season with more salt as needed.
- Drizzle steaks with a little canola oil, and rub to thinly coat the meat.
- Sprinkle rub generously over each steak, rubbing into the meat. Shake off any excess.
- Preheat a grill on medium heat for 10 minutes. When the grill is hot, add the steaks. Grill about 5-7 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the steaks, until desired internal temperature is reached (see chart below).
- Remove from the grill and let rest 5 minutes. Slice the steak against the grain and serve topped with the Mango Avocado Salsa.
Medium Rare: 130-135
Medium Well: 155-160
Well Done: 165 and above