Coffee Pecan Pie Bread Pudding
This Coffee Pecan Pie Bread Pudding recipe is a decadent treat whether you serve it for breakfast or dessert. With Charleston Coffee Roasters coffee in both the custard and the streusel, it’s like having pie and coffee together in every bite.
Hands down, the best part of a pecan pie is the filling. So we took that same rich gooey filling to create the traditional custard base of this bread pudding. Of course, we had to add some brewed coffee to the filling to give it that Charleston Coffee Roasters spin. The bread soaks up all of the delicious liquid so that when it is baked it has a texture that is a cross between a pie and pudding.
To give the bread pudding a deeper caramel pecan flavor, we also added a coffee pecan streusel layered throughout. The brown sugar melts as it bakes to give you that rich pecan pie taste, and the ground coffee in the streusel really amplifies the coffee flavor.
The entire recipe can be made ahead, which makes it perfect for entertaining. It’s a welcome change from traditional pecan pie for dessert, especially when served warm with a scoop of ice cream. Or let it sit overnight in the refrigerator and bake it in the morning for a delicious brunch. In fact, it tastes better the longer you let the bread soak up the rich custard.
Any of our Charleston Coffee Roasters roasts would be delicious in this recipe. We decided to use our Breakfast Blend, though, since it is a Medium Roast that has crisp and bright notes of citrus that contrast with the richness of the filling.
COFFEE PECAN PIE BREAD PUDDING
1 cup roughly chopped pecans
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon un-brewed Charleston Coffee Roasters Breakfast Blend coffee grounds
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup brewed and cooled Charleston Coffee Roasters Breakfast Blend coffee
1 cup light or dark corn syrup
6 cups 1-inch French or brioche bread cubes
- Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
- Place pecans, brown sugar, coffee grounds and melted butter in a small bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Place heavy cream, brewed coffee, eggs, granulated sugar and corn syrup in another large mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Arrange half of bread cubes in the pie dish. Top with half of the pecan crumble. Top with the remaining bread cubes.
- Slowly pour the coffee cream mixture over the bread cubes, pressing on them to soak up the liquid. Top with the remaining pecan crumble. Let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to allow the bread to soak, or if desired, cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until the bread pudding and pecan crumble is golden brown on top. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Serve warm with whipped cream, ice cream and plenty of coffee.